Thursday, July 2, 2009

Baroque

Lots more churches yesterday (some pictures below), and a quiz that I think I did okay on. Extra credit covers a multitude of sins. :)
Big thunder and lightning last night! Like legit thunder. It went on for a while, and was really loud. It rained, but only for a few minutes, like usual. I got cold enough to stick on my jeans and a sweatshirt, though (I DID use that SPU sweatshirt, mom! Aren't you glad I packed it?).
Today we went to some Baroque churches, but I didn't take pictures this time. I wanted to try absorbing as much as I could, as opposed to hiding behind a camera all day. It was glorious. There was a beautiful white church that was simply constructed, but really interesting. There was a courtyard with white pillars and a mosaic fountain off of the main area of the church and a really cool mausoleum downstairs with a staircase that looked like a conch shell. It was pretty neat. The other two churches we went to were in the same area, but gilded and really overwhelming. The only think I like about the Baroque painting/ architecture style is the fact that it breaks the frame a lot and spills out into the rest of the room.
When we were getting off the bus, we met two girls who were doing the Semester at Sea program. They had heard us speaking English and asked us for directions, and ended up eating lunch with us at our favorite salad place. It was fun. One of them was from Georgia, and the other was from Hawaii (but she was going to school in Oregon). It was cool to touch base with other college kids after being in one group for so long. It made me miss my friends who live in Georgia and Oregon. Anyway, we pointed them in the direction of the Pantheon, and they left. They're going to Naples, next, then some really cool places like Turkey, Bulgaria, Egypt, and Morocco. I really want to do a program like that, but they were talking about how big their ship and their program is, and it's seriously like a cruise ship. With like...700 people. No thank you. That's just like a floating university. There are other programs out there that take only like 25 people and actually teach you how to sail. I feel like that would be more beneficial.
Yep, so it's Neenah's birthday today, so I think we're going to go out to dinner--a lot of us. Hopefully good food.
Some pictures from yesterday:


The tomb of Saint Ignatius: founder of the Jesuit order.



No comments:

Post a Comment