Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Yesterday and today

Yesterday we went to the Palazzo Barberini, a palace designed by Moderno and filled with lots of different paintings. There was Caravaggio and van Eyck and lots of other artists that I didn't recognize. It was beautiful. I stayed there way longer than I was expecting to. I saw that famous portrait of Thomas More in person! That was awesome, since A Man for All Seasons is one of my favorite plays. Also saw the portrait of Henry VIII that practically everyone's seen pictures of. It blows my mind how detailed that portrait is: every stitch of his clothing embroidery is clear and exact. Obviously, we couldn't take pictures, so I don't have any photos of yesterday. Or today. We went to the Galleria Borghese today. It was a very very long walk, and we thought we were going to be late. So we hustled. And now my feet aren't happy abou thtat. But we got to see amazing Bernini sculptures and tons of paintings (more Caravaggio :) ).
Funny story:
So I'm in the main painting gallery and I see an older couple sitting on some benches talking to each other and staring at me. I thought they were just thinking "oh look, another American girl," but then the guy gets up, comes over to me, and says, "I'm sorry, did we speak downstairs?" in this British accent. I said "no" and then he said, "But do you speak English?"
"Yes."
"Are you a student?"
"Yes, I am."
"Oh well then maybe you can answer a few questions for us..."
And we talked for a while about emerging perspective in early Renaissance paintings and how they restore old pieces. It was fun, because I actually knew what I was talking about. Turns out he's actually from California and he's an engineer, so the screwed up perspective that lots of early Renaissance paintings have was bugging him. Anyway, that was fun.
We waited forever for the tram so we could get back to the hotel, and they kicked us off to transfer. And we had to wait for the busdriver to take his break. And there was traffic. And it was gross. Pleh. But we're back. And I got pizza for lunch. All is well.
Review session tonight for our quiz we're taking on Friday. Wow, is it already Wednesday? We hardly have any time left here!

No comments:

Post a Comment